Naval Museums, History and Heritage Headquarters Return to Previous Operations
WASHINGTON (NNS) -- The Navy's museums, which closed as a result of the government shutdown, have returned to their normal operating hours. Additionally, the Naval History and Heritage Command (NHHC) and the Navy Department Library, both located on the Washington Navy Yard, have reopened.
The naval archives will operate under restricted access due to the ongoing remediation efforts in storage facilities and naval history holdings. Access to and support from the naval archives will remain limited to official government inquiries only.
Likewise, most of the Navy's central historic artifact collection and art collection is stored offsite as part of a long-term initiative to improve the environmental and inventory conditions in which they are kept.
Requests for artifact support and for loans will be entertained, but response times will be longer than in the past. Official requests will have priority.
The following Naval History and Heritage enterprise museums have resumed normal hours:
- National Museum of the U.S. Navy (Washington, D.C.)
- National Naval Aviation Museum (Pensacola, Fla.)
- Great Lakes Naval Museum (Great Lakes, Ill.)
- Hampton Roads Naval Museum (Norfolk, Va.)
- U.S. Submarine Force Museum and Historic Ship
Nautilus (Groton, Conn.)
- U.S. Navy Seabee Museum (Port Hueneme, Calif.)
- U.S. Naval War College Museum (Newport, R.I.)
- U.S. Naval Academy Museum (Annapolis, Md.)
- Puget Sound Naval Museum (Bremerton, Wash.)
- Naval Museum Northwest (Keyport, Wash.)
Before visiting, please access the museums' respective websites to check hours of operation.
In 2012, NHHC and Washington Navy Yard Public Works collaborated on a major archival storage facility renovation project for buildings 108 and 44 which is targeted for completion as early as 2014. The ongoing project will result in accommodating 12,000 cubic feet paper, microform and digital media in appropriate environmental conditions.
For more information and to access the Navy museum web sites, please see http://www.history.navy.mil/museums/index.html .
For the latest news on naval history, please see http://www.navy.mil/local/navhist/.