Sign up for GCC transportation summer programs by June 10
Guam Community College is offering two FREE National Summer Transportation Institute (NSTI) programs this summer, to allow middle and high school students to explore careers in the transportation industry. The middle school NSTI is the result of a grant award of $20,124 received through the government of Guam’s Department of Public Works, and the high school portion of the program is funded through GCC’s College Access Challenge Grant Program. Both institutes will provide students with field trips to transportation sites around the island and practical, hands-on activities using math skills needed to succeed in the industry.
The National Summer Transportation Institutes include:
- Field trips to Guam’s major transportation ports: the A.B. Won Pat International Airport, the Port Authority of Guam, and DPW
- Emergency and safety demonstrations including K- 9 units
- A tour of the United Airlines maintenance hangar and city ticket office
- Activities with GCC’s Automotive Service Technology and Heavy Equipment programs, including the opportunity to “drive” GCC’s new truck simulator.
- Hands-on activities with transportation industry equipment
Middle School NSTI June 17-28 (20 slots available)
Student Registration Deadline: June 10th. Each public or private middle school may submit up to 2 (two) candidates.
Documents to submit:
- Documentation from school that certifies pre-algebra has been completed or that the student is enrolled in pre-algebra for the upcoming school year.
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor.
- A written statement from the student applicant describing the reasons for choosing to apply and participate in the program (one paragraph minimum).
- Updated Immunization Records (TB skin test MUST BE current. This may be submitted after confirmation of acceptance into the program.)
Submit all documents to the GCC Dean’s Office in Bldg. 2000, Room 2223, attention Dr. Michael Chan or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call 735-5573 for more information.
High School NSTI July 1-July 15 (20 slots available)
Student Registration Deadline: June 10th, on a first come, first served basis. Applicants must be registered CACGP participants. Call 735-0221/5565 to register or email email@example.com.
Individuals requiring special accommodations, auxiliary aids, or services please contact 735-5597.
For more information, contact Jayne Flores, GCC Asst. Director of Communications & Promotions, at 735-5638 (office), 483-6409 (cell), or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.