After Americans killed by released Gitmo detainees, questions raised

News
A U.S. soldier opens a gate outside Camp VI at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in this April 19, 2016 photo. 	 Corey Dickstein/Stars and Stripes
From Stripes.com
A U.S. soldier opens a gate outside Camp VI at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in this April 19, 2016 photo. Corey Dickstein/Stars and Stripes

After Americans killed by released Gitmo detainees, questions raised

by: Tara Copp | .
Stars and Stripes | .
published: July 08, 2016
 WASHINGTON — Lawmakers on Thursday questioned President Barack Obama’s push to release more detainees from the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, given the recent disappearance of a detainee transferred to Uruguay and that Americans were killed by released detainees who returned to the battlefield.
 
Paul Lewis, a Defense Department special envoy for the closure of the Guantanamo Bay detention facility, told the House Committee on Foreign Affairs that the Obama administration now estimates 14 released detainees had returned to Afghanistan and were responsible for the deaths of Americans.
 
Lewis did not provide details on which Americans died from the attacks. But he said all of the former detainees implicated in the killings had been released during President George W. Bush’s administration.
 
“We’ve got a lot of dead Americans as a result of this catch-and-release program,” said Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., who is a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee.
 
Tags:
Related Content: No related content is available