Annie's Chamorro Kitchen: Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
These chicken lettuce wraps are a good choice if you’re looking for a quick dish to make for an appetizer or a light meal. I created this recipe when I was craving the popular appetizer served at a famous Chinese Restaurant chain. It’s quite easy to make. It only takes a few minutes to chop up the chicken and vegetables; you can have this on your table in about 30 minutes.
This is also a great dish if you have picky eaters like I do. My youngest daughter opted to eat the filling with rice instead of the “yucky green lettuce”, but boy did she devour the savory, saucy chicken and VEGETABLE-laden filling! ;) (Shhhh….don’t tell her.)
My complete recipe is located at the bottom of this post. Give it a try. I think you’ll like it. :)
Make the stir fry sauce.
❶In a small bowl, mix all of the sauce ingredients together EXCEPT for the water and cornstarch mixture.
❷Heat a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil and chicken.
❸Pour the sauce into the pan with the chicken.
❹Stir occasionally, cooking until the chicken is no longer pink.
❺Add the water chestnuts, mushrooms, onion and Thai basil leaves.
❻Cook the chicken and vegetable mixture for a couple of minutes.
❼Stir the cornstarch-water mixture then pour into the pan, stirring the chicken mixture as you pour. Cook for a couple more minutes, stirring constantly. The sauce will thicken as it cooks.
❽Stir in half of the green onions. Cook for a minute longer then remove from the heat.
❾Fill the lettuce leaves with the chicken mixture. Top with more green onions and hot pepper flakes.
Chicken Stir Fry
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced (or 1 pound ground chicken)
- 2 cans water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 package fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 8 Thai basil leaves, optional
- 8 stalks green onions, sliced
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup water mixed with 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 large head butter or iceberg lettuce, wash, dried and leaves separated
- Red pepper flakes, optional
Make the stir fry sauce:
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
- Set aside the cornstarch and water mixture for now.
Cook the chicken:
- Heat a large pan or wok over medium-high heat. Add the sesame oil and chicken.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water chestnuts, mushrooms, onion, and Thai basil leaves to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir the cornstarch-water mixture the pour into the pan, stirring as you pour. Cook for another couple of minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in half of the green onions. Cook for a minute longer then remove from the heat.
Assemble the chicken wraps:
- Scoop some filling into the lettuce leaves.
- Top with some sliced green onions and pepper flakes.