Annie's Chamorro Kitchen: Corned Beef with Cabbage and Onions
This is another classic Chamorro comfort dish. Most Chamorros grew up eating corned beef, maybe because it used to be inexpensive. Now, it’s become something our family eats only once in a while since a can of corned beef has become quite pricey!
Made with canned corned beef, sliced cabbage and onions (and a few seasonings), this is another one of those quick and easy dishes that you can prepare and serve within minutes.
Feel free to substitute the cabbage with (or add) your favorite vegetables. I like sliced eggplant and fresh green beans in this dish in addition to the cabbage.
Comment below to let me know how you like my recipe, or let me know your favorite way to prepare canned corned beef. j
- 2 cans corned beef
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dashida seasoning (or you can use salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small head cabbage, sliced
- Sauté the corned beef in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, Dashida, and black pepper. Cook for a few minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add the sliced cabbage to the pan. Cook over medium heat until the cabbage wilts and softens enough to your liking, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with hot white rice and enjoy!