Educating yourself on student aid


Educating yourself on student aid

by: Kim Suchek | .
Stripes Guam | .
published: August 15, 2012

Hello Military Community,

Over the next couple of weeks I will be providing information and resources about the educational benefits for military families. Active duty service members may qualify for more than $50,000 in education benefits, which can be used to obtain an undergraduate college degree, specific vocational training, or graduate and post-graduate college degrees.

Many of the educational programs available today are designed to fit your military lifestyle. Some universities have established special partnerships with the armed forces and have programs available on military bases. There are great programs accessible to service members, spouses and dependents through independent study, distance learning, and online courses.

There are many ways to obtain and pay for a formal education through scholarships, discounts and grants. Please review all your options before signing your name for loans.

The centerpiece of armed services education benefits is the GI Bill, which encompasses several Department of Veterans Affairs education programs, including the Post-9/11 GI Bill, The Montgomery GI Bill for Active Duty and Veterans (MGIB-AD), and Montgomery GI Bill for Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR). The Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP), Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP), Spouse and Dependents Education Assistance (DEA), and the Vocational Rehabilitation and Education (VR&E) program are also available.

Remember….you may be eligible for more than one educational benefit. Knowing when each is best for your situation can save you money and ensure you get the most out of your benefits. Finally, remember that each service has its own tuition assistance programs, college funds and other means that may be able to help you in ways beyond those of the “standard” benefits. Talk with an education service officer, Navy College counselor or military recruiter to find out more. And remember DO NOT sign off on any program before you review everything. A site may tell you that you cannot use both programs for educational assistance, but what that generally means is you cannot at the same time. This does not mean you cannot use them at different times. Please be aware of these comments citing so-called restrictions.

I had someone yesterday ask me what Federal Student Aid (FSA) was about. So, I will briefly go over it for you…with FSA it doesn’t matter whether you are active duty, reserve, veteran, retiree, using the GI Bill, or not—if you are going to college you should take advantage of FSA programs, which offer direct loans and LARGE grants.

As you know, colleges and universities charge fees for tuition, admissions applications, enrollment, books, technical support, labs, transcripts and others. What you may not know is that if you don’t use military tuition assistance, which is different from the GI Bill, you, not the Department of Defense or Veterans Administration, are responsible for paying ALL of these additional fees.

Each school’s policies differ on how this money is collected, but in most cases you will be asked to sign a promissory note, apply for student aid, or both. That is why it is important for you to apply for Federal Student Aid, which can help defer out-of-pocket expenses until GI Bill payments start coming in. In addition to low interest loans and scholarships, FSA also offers grants that do not require repayment. The key is to make sure you avoid long-term student loan debt and interest charges by paying off FSA “Direct Loans” as soon as GI Bill payments start hitting your bank account.

FSA ELIGIBILITY: You are eligible for FSA if you are ALL of the following…

•A high school graduate, or have a General Education Development (GED) certificate
•Working toward a degree or certificate
•Enrolled in an eligible school or program
•A U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (must have a valid Social Security Number)
•Registered with the Selective Service if required (you can use the paper or electronic FAFSA to register)
Once you have enrolled in college, you need to start the application process for FSA. You can apply for all available FSA by filling out a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) form online at After you have submitted the form, your school will tell you which types of loans and grants you are qualified to receive and the total amounts of each. When you get this notification from the school, simply select the loans and grants you want and the school will finish the loan process.

TIP: Applying for FSA is easy if you use the FAFSA Pre-Application worksheet to guide you. Without the worksheet the FAFSA process can be complicated. You will need to gather your tax forms from previous years, including W-2’s, bank statements and investment statements to complete the form.

CAUTION: FAFSA is a free application for federal student aid. However, there are some shady websites that offer to complete the FAFSA for you for a fee. DON’T DO IT!! The FAFSA form ONLY takes a short time to complete. It is worth your time, security safety and money to complete it yourself.

Some form of FSA can be used at every accredited school that is recognized by the Education Department. But the search for the right school and program can be time-consuming. Let help you get FREE information on schools that fit your needs by filling out one simple form to find the schools that are eager to send you FREE information on how to get the funding you need to cover the cost of your education. For further information go to

Next week, I will go over the GI Bill and Post-9/11 GI Bill, with other educational grants and scholarships to follow. If you are looking for something in particular send me an email and I will post it.

Best wishes from my family to yours.

Kim Suchek

If you have any questions or concerns or would like to share a story or situation, contact me at and visit my website for updated information and other Resources not listed in my book.

Related Content: Spouse offers survival guide for military families, Write from the heart, Getting back to the basics, Relief act offers shield for families, TRICARE program offers assistance 24/7, Finding the support you need, Ensure your military family is insured, Changes in student aid, Housing info site debuts, Weathering a divorce from the military , Buying a home with a VA loan, Making PCSing as painless as possible, Navigating the TRICARE dental transition, Be forgiven for your student loan