Mango Magic: Annual fruit fest to be held May 25-27
Stripes Guam | .
published: May 15, 2018
Agat Village has got a lovely bunch of mangos – and they will be showcased in all their splendor at the 12th Annual Agat Mango Festival on May 25-27.
We’re talking about a variety of Guam’s favorite fruit, ranging from piko mangos and banana mangos to Saipan mangos. There’s also a mango run, a biggest mango contest, as well as the crowning of the best mango dessert.
Mango season usually starts around March when mango trees begin bearing this island-favorite fruit, which starts off green and ripens into rich yellow, red or even golden orange colors by late May to early June.
The festival will allow visitors to see and taste a wide variety of different mangoes on the island, as well as different mango creations, including smoothies and doughnuts.
Festivities actually kick off the week before the main event with the annual 2k/5k Mango Festival Run/Walk on May 19. The signup fee is $10 per runner and $35 for a family of four if you register before race day ($10/person on day of race). Refreshments and t-shirts (as supplies last) will be handed out after the run.
Then the following weekend brings three full days – from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday and 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday – of live entertainment by local talent, contests, giveaways, prizes, demonstrations and activities for young and old alike at Agat Village’s Sagan Bisita and adjacent community center.
You’ll see booths with the variety of mangoes grown in the village and throughout the island. Individuals and groups will vie for the best mango display and mango vendor booth. The official judging and declaration of the island’s biggest –and the most bizarre – mango of 2018 also will take place.
There will be many other unique contests at the festival as well.
You can vie for being the person who eats the most ripe or spicy mangoes in the mango eating contest. In addition to entering your own culinary creations in the best mango dessert contest, you can pit the taste and presentation of your cooked dishes that use mango and other mystery ingredients against others in the chopped mango cook-off.
Spectators will be able to get in on the act by participating in workshops on such topics as pickling mangos, blending mango smoothies and making mango doughnuts. You’ll also see mango plants and a variety of tropical plants from various nurseries.
Agat farmers also produce a plethora of varieties: Hawaiian mangos, piko mangos, banana mangos, carabao mangos, apple mangos, Malaysian mangos, Saipan mangos and peach mangos, to name a few.
That doesn’t even include a neatr-infinite number of crossbreeds – many of which will be showcased, sold and/or available for sampling at the festival.
There’s no need to worry about parking too far from the event. Just look for the special golf carts that will be roaming the vicinity ferrying visitors to and from parking areas and the festival grounds. So don’t miss this opportunity to have a mango of a good time.
Mango Fest events
Friday May 25
• Agat Mango Festival Officially opens at 5 p.m. with over 75 booths to visit.
• Little Miss & Mister Coronation Ceremony: As part of the Agat Mango Festival’s Mission to raise funds for construction, maintenance, and aide to the people in our community, we invited families to participate in the Little Mister and Miss Mango Contest. Each contestants’ family raised funds as part of the Agat Mango Festival Goal through the sale of tickets and their fundraising efforts. This competition is open to all families with a child ranging from age 5 -10 years old. The children designated by their family as their candidate becomes part of the Mango Royal Court and the winner is designated Little Mister Mango or Little Miss Mango.
• Mango Displays; It’s amazing the variety of mangoes that can be grown on the island. Our local gardeners, farmers and mango enthusiast throughout the island will display their mangoes as the Mango Season continues throughout the Month of May.
• Fireworks display in the evening.
Saturday May 26
• If you want to come a little early, the Little Mr/Miss Mango Royal Court Parade begins at 9 a.m. in the Festival Grounds. A great opportunity for everyone to participate by dancing to the rhythm of the drums as it passes through. At 10 a.m. the Mango Festival begins its full day and night of Entertainment and Activities.
• Throughout the weekend, you can enjoy a variety of entertainment at our Sagan Bisita Performance Stage. Our many talented local artists are eager to share their talents;
• Here are just some of our notable local crowd-pleasers: Valentino fire and Culture Show, Fusion Dance Group, Skip Entertainment, Talent Box and more.
• Best Mango Contest judging process begins to determine the winner for a variety of categories such as Most Beautiful Mango, Ugliest Mango, Largest Mango, Longest Mango and other categories. If you are interested in submitting your entry, please call 565-2524 for more information.
• Mango Dessert Contest Judging process begins on Saturday. All entries must be turned in on Saturday Morning. Please call 565-2524 for more information.
• Mango Doughnut Demonstration. This is one of the many crowd pleasers at the festival. Observe the method of creating a mango doughnut combining traditional and modern cooking equipment from scratch to finish. If your mouth starts to water after the demonstration, you can get one or a bundle for a very affordable price.
• Mango Smoothie Sampling, you can’t have a mango festival without free sampling.
• Pickled Mango Demonstration and unripe Mango Sampling, For those of us who love sweet, sour, salty, spicy and hot pickled mango, this is the Demonstration and Display Center that you’ll want to visit over and over again. See the many different ways to pickle your mango. Taste which flavor and concoction tune to your taste buds.
• Official Winners of the Mango Contests Display, once our judges have selected the winners of the Best Mango Categories, these winning mangoes and their proud growers will be displayed. Be sure to visit.
Sunday May 27
• You can expect the same fun-filled day with variety Entertainments, Arts & Crafts, Demonstrations, Sampling and tons of food and drinks at over 75 booths to visit.
• Mango Auction and sale, if you’ve been eager to take home loads of mango from the festival. Here is your opportunity to go through the displays during the day and bid for those mangoes.
• The Closing and Giveaway Drawing of the Agat Mango Festival. Who will be the grand prize winner of the Mango Festival to win $3000 and many other prizes thanks to our sponsors and donators of the event.
• At night, witness the Fireworks.