Make yourself a power & beauty smoothie
With the heat beating down on you this summer, it’s easy to feel tired and listless. If you have a blender and some fresh produce from your local farmers market, try this morning pick-me-up that will keep you genki all day. The fruits and veggies are packed with immune system boosting vitamins and omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. This particular recipe is vegan-friendly—but feel free to mix it up and try your own.
Start to finish: 3 min
Servings: serves 2
- 1 banana
- 60g (¼ cup) frozen blueberries (or berries)
- 60g (¼ cup) fresh pineapple (peeled, cored)
- 100ml (½ cup) soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon maqui berry powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons almonds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional)
- 100ml (½ cup) ice cubes
- 50ml (¼ cup) water
1.Add all ingredients in the order listed and blend until smooth.
2.Pour into two glasses and serve with a drizzle of honey, if desired.
3.Drink and enjoy!
Yogurt Spring Rolls
Defense Commissary Agency
Make and share these light and airy spring rolls for your next nihonshu tasting. Served with mentsuyu (noodle dipping sauce), the mild flavors will bring out the best in your ginjo sake.
Servings: 4 rolls
• 1 serving cooked and chilled soba noodles
• 4 small sheets rice paper (or 2 large sheets)
• 1 bunch mizuna (Japanese greens)
• 150ml (2/3 cup) Greek yogurt or ricotta cheese
• 120ml (1/2 cup) finely chopped green onions
• Mentsuyu noodle sauce for dipping
1. Cut the mizuna into 10cm segments.
2. Combine the chopped green onions and Greek yogurt/ricotta.
3. Wet the rice paper, then put it on a cutting board and place the mizuna, soba noodles and green onion/yogurt mix on the paper. As you do this, the rice paper will soften to the right tenderness for rolling.
4. Roll the rice paper halfway, then fold both ends in and roll the rest.
5. Repeat and make 4 rolls. Serve with chilled mentsuyu sauce (めんつゆ, available at your grocer).