“My name is Annie. Food and I get along so well! Cooking and baking are more than a hobby for me – they’re a passion. I come from the beautiful island of Guam, U.S.A. The recipes you’ll find here are my creations, or those of my children, who are also budding foodies. I hope you like them. Drop me a comment or two to let me know how you like our island and other delicacies. Enjoy!”
- Army Lt. Col. (Ret.) Annette Merfalen
Cheesy Sausage Breakfast Burritos
Cheese, Sausage, Eggs and Hash Browned Potatoes all wrapped in a tortilla…need I say more? These burritos are super simple to make. There really isn’t much prep work since most of the ingredients are already pre-cooked.
Filled with cheese, sausage, cheese, shredded hash brown potatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, my secret blend of seasonings (shhh…don’t tell anyone), green onions, eggs, and CHEESE (can you tell I love cheese?), this is the perfect way to start your day. Your belly will be happy, happy, happy after eating this, I guarantee.
Be creative here…the sky’s the limit with all the various types of sausage on the market these days–Chorizos Españot is great in this recipe too!
Just place the ingredients in a large skillet, cook it for a bit, then fill your tortilla, roll, and ENJOY!
This recipe makes about two dozen small burritos (using 8″ tortillas). Don’t let that number fool you…depending on the person (and how hungry you are), a serving can be about two or three small burritos.
Give my recipe a try…I think you’ll like it.
MAKE THE FILLING:
• 4 tablespoons butter
• 8 cups frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes
• Secret seasoning mix (see below)
• 2 bags pre-cooked breakfast sausage (or substitute with your favorite cooked sausage)
• 6 eggs
• 4 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
• 6 stalks green onions, sliced
• 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
• 24 super-soft flour tortillas (8-inch)
Note: This recipe is a fantastic taco seasoning…you won’t need to buy that packaged stuff anymore! Just add it to browned ground beef along with about a 1/2 cup of water; simmer for a couple of minutes then serve!
• 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon onion powder
• 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika (I like using smoked paprika)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon Accent (optional)
• 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet.
2. Add the frozen shredded hash brown potatoes.
3. Add my secret seasonings (shhh…don’t let my secret out!)
4. Stir to combine. Keep the heat on medium low.
5. Add the cooked sausage. Stir to combine. This is the brand of cooked sausage I use. Use two bags for this recipe.
6. Crack the eggs into a small mixing cup.
7. Beat the eggs slightly.
8. Make a well in the middle of the pan.
9. Pour the eggs into the well. Turn the heat up slightly. Let the eggs cook for a couple of minutes then stir it into the potato mixture. It’s okay to stir the eggs even if they are still wet–it will continue to cook as you finish adding the rest of the ingredients.
10. Add the sun-dried tomatoes. I buy the kind that comes already chopped and packed in oil. If that’s the kind you use, try not to add too much of the oil it comes in.
11. Stir to combine.
12. Add the sliced green onions. Stir to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes then turn off the heat.
13. Place a tortilla on a plate or flat surface.
14. Sprinkle both types of cheese in the middle of the tortilla.
15. Add about 1/2 cup of the filling over the cheese.
16. Fold the bottom half of the tortilla over the filling.
17. Fold the sides of the tortilla over, toward the middle.
18. Continue rolling over the other half of the tortilla.
19. Wrap in aluminum foil. Refrigerate or freeze any uneaten burritos. I like wrapping each one in foil because it’s easy to place them on a baking sheet and reheating them in the oven (a toaster oven works well too). You can’t reheat the burritos this way (in an oven) if they are wrapped in plastic wrap.