Annie's Chamorro Kitchen: Pillow soft and fluffy biscuits with homemade gravy
Pillow Soft and Fluffy Biscuits with Homemade Gravy
Biscuits and gravy is a classic breakfast dish. A serving (or two or three) of soft, fluffy biscuits topped with a savory, meaty gravy is a perfect way to start the day.
These biscuits are so soft, they practically melt in your mouth. Seriously.
These biscuits are so soft that you tend to smoosh them when trying to spread butter on them. That’s why I like making a Honey-Butter Sauce that you can just drizzle on top–there’s no need to spread anything on them!J
Aside from serving these for breakfast, you can also serve ’em up with some fried chicken and a side of hot buttered corn for an absolutely delightful dinner.
Give my recipes a try. I think you’ll like them. J
Be sure to scroll down for my Homemade Gravy and Honey-Butter Sauce recipes.
Soft Fluffy Biscuits
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 10 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) very cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Place the flour, cornstarch, buttermilk powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Add the pieces of butter to the bowl. Use a pastry cutter (you can also do this in a food processor) to cut the butter into the flour.
- Add the water to the flour mixture. Gently mix with your hands until a dough forms. Do not knead or over-mix the dough.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle or square, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a dough scraper to cut the dough into evenly sized squares. I prefer to make square biscuits rather than round ones. Using round cutters leaves you with extra dough that has to be re-formed and rolled out again, causing you to over-handle the dough which turns out tough biscuits. By making square-shaped biscuits, you roll the dough out once, yielding incredibly soft, fluffy biscuits. I rolled out the dough a little less than a 1/2 inch thick. They still bake up nice and tall if you roll the dough out less than a 1/2 inch, but if you like tall biscuits, keep the dough at 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick. Less than that and you’ll yield about 30 little biscuits, cut the way I did below. Thicker and you should get about a dozen or so biscuits.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the biscuit squares onto the baking sheet, about an inch apart.
Brush the tops of each square with milk. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes. My oven runs hot, so mine bake up nice and golden brown after just 15 minutes. Again, this was 15 minutes for dough rolled out a little less than 1/2 inch. 20 minutes of baking should suffice for dough rolled out to between 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick.
Serve these fluffy wonders with Homemade Gravy or drizzled with Honey Butter Sauce and ENJOY!
See how fluffy they are? Yum!!
- 1 pound ground beef (or you can use your favorite sausage)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Dashida seasoning
- 3 cups milk (I used 1 1/2 % reduced-fat milk)
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet.
- Add the flour and all the seasonings to the skillet.
- Stir to combine all of the ingredients. Turn the heat up to medium high.
- Pour the milk into the skillet. I use a whisk that can withstand the heat and be used for cooking (see the photo above) to stir as I add the milk.
- Stir constantly until the gravy thickens.
- Serve with my soft and fluffy biscuits and ENJOY! J
Honey Butter Sauce
- teaspoon water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave in 30-second intervals until the butter melts.
- Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Drizzle over freshly baked soft and fluffy biscuits and ENJOY! J
Try sprinkling some cinnamon over the warm honey butter sauce. Yum!
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!