Strike Group sailors to volunteer during port call
ASAN, Guam (Feb. 13, 2016) – Volunteers from the John C. Stennis Strike Group (JCSSG) will take part in several community projects during a port call in Guam Feb.15-16.
While on island, hundreds of Sailors from the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) and the guided-missile destroyer USS Mobile Bay (CG 53) will volunteer their time at schools and various organizations as a way to give back to the island community.
Sailors from John C. Stennis and Carrier Air Wing Nine (CVW-9) will participate in the following community service projects:
- Island Girl Power – Sailors will assist in preparing an area for the organization’s community garden project Feb. 15-16 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Dededo Mayor’s Office – Sailors will assist with beautification projects in the village Feb. 15 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in preparation for the Festival of Pacific Arts.
- Wettengel Elementary School – Sailors will conduct classroom presentations and join students during the school’s Chamorro Language and Traditional Arts program. Sailors and staff members will also team up to paint various exterior walls at the Dededo campus Feb. 16 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Marcial Sablan Elementary School – Sailors will team up with staff members to paint six bathrooms and assist with grounds maintenance at the Agat campus Feb. 16 from 1-4 p.m.
- Sailors from Mobile Bay will participate in the following community service projects:
- Guam Memorial Hospital (GMH) – Sailors will assist GMH staff with painting walls and beautification projects for the island’s only public hospital Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Guam Animals in Need (GAIN) – Sailors will assist GAIN staff in cleaning the facility and will socialize with shelter animals Feb. 15 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Simon A. Sanchez High School – Sailors will participate in intramural games with students at the Yigo campus Feb. 16 from 9 a.m. to noon.
- F.B. Leon Guerrero Middle School – Sailors will coach student athletes Feb. 16 from 12:20-1:30 p.m. in preparation for the Special Olympics.
JCSSG consists of the John C. Stennis with Carrier Air Wing 9 and Destroyer Squadron 21 embarked; guided-missile destroyers USS Stockdale (DDG 106), USS Chung-Hoon (DDG 93), and USS William P. Lawrence (DDG 110), and the Mobile Bay.
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!