Teams Tow the Line to Fight Cancer at 12th Annual United Plane Pull
GUAM, June 28, 2017 – United Airlines hosted its 12th Annual United Plane Pull — “Towing the Line to Save Lives” on Saturday, June 24 at the United hangar in Tiyan. The event united the community in support of the fight against cancer.
Forty-three teams registered to tow the line to take a stand against cancer. Cancer survivors, family members and friends cheered on the teams.
Teams of 25 members each competed to pull a United Boeing 737 aircraft — 129 feet long, 41 feet high and 124 feet wide, weighing a total of 145,000 pounds — 12 feet in the fastest time. Two teams claimed the title of 2017 United Plane Pull Champion: FD All Stars sponsored by Moylan's NetCare for the men’s division and Department of Defense Team 1/Fire Family sponsored by DZSP 21 for the co-ed division. LeoPalace Resort Guam/Team Chikara earned the 2017 Team Spirit Award.
Sam Shinohara, United’s managing director of operations Asia/Pacific, said, “As Guam’s hometown airline, United is proud to support the event beneficiaries, the American Cancer Society and Guam Cancer Care, as they assist local cancer patients and their families. We continue to support the American Cancer Society in its search for the cure and Guam Cancer Care as it provides prevention and patient support programs. In addition, I would like to recognize my colleagues — nearly 1,000 United employees on Guam — who make this employee-sponsored event successful every year.”
This year’s event raised $25,800 to be evenly split between the American Cancer Society and Guam Cancer Care, bringing the total amount that the Plane Pull has raised since 2006 to $315,800. The annual event, which is organized and hosted by United employees, has attracted more than 10,000 participants over the past 12 years.
Results for the Men’s Division
- 1st Place: FD All Stars sponsored by Moylan's NetCare with a time of 4.61 seconds
- 2nd Place: A.B. Won Pat International Airport Authority, Guam/Team Guam International Airport with a time of 4.78 seconds
- 3rd Place: Docomo Pacific/Team One Marianas with a time of 4.85 seconds
Results for the Co-Ed Division
- 1st Place: Department of Defense Team 1/Fire Family sponsored by DZSP 21 with a time of 4.66 seconds
- 2nd Place: Fire Family sponsored by Guam Visitors Bureau with a time of 4.75 seconds
- 3rd Place: Department of Defense Team 2/Fire Family sponsored by DZSP 21 with a time of 4.99 seconds
2017 Team Spirit Award Winner
- LeoPalace Resort Guam/Team Chikara
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!