Tips on how to conserve energy around your home
ANDERSEN AIR FORCE BASE, Guam -- It's not always easy to remember the simple things, such as cutting off a light when no one is in the room, or turning the air condition off when you leave the house.
Team Andersen members must make it a priority to do the small things to conserve energy around the home.
As of Aug. 1, 2015, the utilities allowance for Andersen Airmen decreased approximately $100 from the previous amount given.
The new rates are: $919 with dependents and $689.25 without dependents. The decreased amount for Airmen with dependents is $131 and Airmen without dependents decreased by $98.25. The changes apply to all ranks.
Utility costs will vary depending on the age and size of your home, number of family members, and personal habits. Be sure to ask the landlord for a detailed energy consumption profile of your home; this will provide information on the energy efficiency and give you an idea of how much utilities will cost.
Below are tips on how to conserve energy in the home.
When using Air Conditioners
- Target 78 degrees! Each degree below 78 degrees could cost you 8 percent on your cooling costs
- Use ceiling fans if you have them. You can re-set your thermostat two to four degrees warmer and not sacrifice comfort
- Keep the hot sun out! Keep windows and doors closed and shuttered or curtained when the AC is on
- Clean or replace air filters every month. Dirty filters make the unit work harder
Kitchen and Laundry Appliances
- Keep range-top burners and reflectors clean for maximum efficiency
- Turn off burners/oven early. You'll have a few more minutes cooking without using electricity
- Set refrigerator temperatures at 37-40 degrees and freezer temperatures at five degrees
- Free standing deep freezer units should be set to zero degrees
For more information on how to conserve energy, click here.
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!