Annie’s Chamorro Kitchen: @untie R’s Gluten-Free Blueberry Cheese Pancakes
I’m happy to feature my friend, Arlene Sablan Aguon’s healthy recipes.
This particular recipe is a healthy alternative to regular pancakes. It’s gluten-free, delicious, and packed with nutrients that not only taste good but are good for you too!
Give Arlene’s recipe a try. I think you’ll like it!
Yield: 4 pancakes
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder (or 1 teaspoon of Xanthan Gum powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ or steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cups flax or soy milk
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten (see notes below)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in sugar and wheat germ/oats; set aside.
- Combine the milk, cottage cheese, and coconut oil.
- Pour the flax or soy milk mixture all at once into the flour mixture; stir until moist. Add additional milk, a little at a time, if the batter is too thick (the batter should pour easily). Gently stir in the berries.
- Pre-heat a skillet/grill over medium heat; lightly grease the skillet. Pour the mixture onto the skillet to the size you prefer. Cook until the tops are bubbly and appear dry; flip over to finish cooking.
Serve and enjoy!
NOTE from Arlene: I didn’t use the egg. The small curd cottage cheese acts as your binder with the coconut oil. Yummy too.
NOTE from Annie: You can use a “chia egg” in place of the regular egg. Mix 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds with 3 tablespoons water. Let the mixture sit until it forms a gel. Use the chia gel/egg in the recipe instead of the egg.
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!