Cook Like a Chamorro: Chicken Chalakiles recipe
We’re excited to bring you a new Cook Like a Chamorro recipe! In this step-by-step video, Chef Peter Duenas from Meskla Chamoru Fusion Bistro shows us how to Cook Like a Chamorro and prepare a pot of chicken chalakiles, a popular Chamorro comfort soup that is easy to make from a simple list of ingredients.
To make chicken chalakiles, you will need:
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 4 cups achote water (soak seeds overnight or use achote powder)
- 6 cups water
- Red chili peppers, finely chopped and to your heat preference
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 cups ground toasted rice (first toast the rice in a pan, then grind the toasted rice in a blender or food processor)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. In a large soup pot, sauté the onion and garlic in cooking oil.
- 2. Add the chicken and sauté. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Add the achote water and regular water and bring to a boil.
- 4. When it begins to boil, add the red pepper and vinegar.
- 5. Add the toasted rice and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. The soup will thicken.
- 6. Serve in a bowl and top with green onion.
Options: You can use chicken broth instead of water, and you can also stir in a cup of coconut milk as the last step. Some versions of chalakiles add crabmeat and vegetables. Have fun experimenting!
About Meskla Chamoru Fusion Bistro
Meskla Chamoru Fusion Bistro is located in Hagåtña, the Capitol of Guam. Corporate Executive Chef and Owner Peter Duenas, a classically trained chef who worked in renown restaurants, hotels, and resort chains for over 25 years, opened Meskla in March 2009 - the first ‘Chamoru fusion bistro’ of its kind. In the Chamorro language, the word “meskla” means “to mix” or “mixture”. At Meskla, you can expect to enjoy island hospitality at its finest and a true taste of modern Chamoru Cuisine...a taste of local home traditions but with a fusion of flavors and style. Visit Meskla’s Facebook page at facebook.com/MesklaGuam and follow @Meskla on Instagram.
Meskla Chamoru Fusion Bistro
Hours: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Mon.-Fri.), (10 a.m.- 2 p.m. on Sun.), 5:30 - 9:30 p.m. (Mon.-Sun.)
Location: 130 E Marine Corps Dr., Ste 103, Hagatna
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!