Tasty Chamorro Recipes: Potato Salad
By Laurent Duenas
- 4 large potatoes, diced and cooked
- 6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 chicken leg, thigh and breast, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup sweet chopped pickles or sweet relish
- 7-ounce jar chopped pimientos
- 1 – 4 ½ ounce can chopped olives
- ¼ cup celery, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup onions (optional)
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups of mayonnaise
Mix all ingredients well, refrigerate and serve cold.
Governor’s Fish in Coconut Milk
Fish in coconut milk
By Madeleine Z. Bordallo
- 2 lbs fish (skipjack, mullet, dolphin or any island fish), sliced about 2 inches thick
- ½ onion, sliced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1/2 water
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 ½ cups rich coconut milk
- Salt and pepper ,to taste
Put all of the ingredients in a kettle and cook for about 20 minutes on medium heat.
Add coconut milk last and remove from direct heat. Do not allow to come to a boil.
Serve hot with steamed rice.
Tropical Fruit Salad
Chilled fruit dessert
By Jennean Sablan
- 1 medium-sized watermelon
- 1 medium-sized cantaloupe
- 1 medium-sized honeydew melon
- 2 large cans of fruit cocktail
- 2 small cans of mandarin orange
- 2 packages of meat of young coconut (frozen)
- 1 jar “kaong” (fruit of palm) – optional
- 1 small tub of Cool Whip (whipped cream)
Scoop out melons with melon baller. Reserve watermelon shell to serve finished fruit salad.
Drain fruit cocktail and mandarin oranges. Reserve liquid for use in jello or any other dessert.
Thaw out frozen young coconut. Never use while still frozen!
Mix all ingredients together, except cool whip. Chill at least three hours.
Before serving, mix in cool whip.
Delicious as appetizer
(before any meal) or as a dessert.
Read a related article: Chamorro Recipe Part2
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!