Be safe when hiking on Guam
ANDERSEN AIR FORCE BASE – Hiking is a popular activity on Guam, but before venturing off to find a trail, there are several safety precautions for hikers to remember.
“Hiking is one of the top activities in Guam with numerous hikes available all year round on the island with various difficulty levels,” said Tech. Sgt. Lawrence Robinson, 36th Wing Safety ground safety technician. “All hikers should become familiar with the trails and make the appropriate preparations as most hikes can vary vastly.”
Some of the common hazards involved with hiking include falls, sunburns, dehydration, overexertion, unfamiliar bodies of water and interactions with wild animals.
Wearing the right clothing is one of the essentials of staying safe while hiking; knowing what to wear trothing through the jungle of Guam can be helpful, Robinson said. Wearing long-sleeved outer garments and pants can protect the skin and wearing swimming attire under the outer layer gives hikers the option to remove the long sleeved gear if they start to overheat on the trail.
Sunblock should be applied as early as possible, ideally before getting dressed for the hike, he said. The longer the sunblock has been on the skin, the more it can be absorbed and the more effective it becomes.
Here are some more tips from the 36th Wing Safety Office so hikers can enjoy everything the great outdoors on Guam has to offer:
- Plan ahead and learn about the area
- Wear the proper gear (i.e., bright colored clothing, hiking boot/shoes, etc.)
- Pack light and only take what is needed
- Pack insect repellant and sunscreen so it can repelled as necessary
- Hydrate prior to and during activities
- Don’t drink alcohol while drinking
- Know limitations while hiking and don’t overdo it
- Stay on marked trails to prevent becoming lost
- Avoid hiking alone, take a wingman.
- Hike with someone who is familiar with the area
For more information about hiking safety, contact the 36th Wing Safety office at 366-SAFE (7233).
Subscribe to our Stripes Pacific newsletter and receive amazing travel stories, great event info, cultural information, interesting lifestyle articles and more directly in your inbox!
Follow us on social media!